Archive services in the UK which meet the eligibility criteria can apply to be accredited against the standard.
Applying for Archive Service Accreditation from April 2018
There are some planned changes for Archive Service Accreditation and these will affect archive services making an application from 2018 onwards:
We are have recently carried out a light touch review of Archive Service Accreditation and its guidance documents. Revised documents will be available on our guidance page from spring 2018. The guidance documents explain what is expected of an archive service in terms of meeting the Archive Service Accreditation Standard.
Archive services intending to apply for Archive Service Accreditation are advised that the online application system has now temporarily closed to allow for changes to the online form. We expect to re-open for applications by mid June 2018.
Statement on use of data in online application system (PDF, 0.03MB)
Archive services interested in applying for accreditation are advised to contact their home nation assessor body responsible for managing the application process before planning their application for advice.
- England: Archives Sector Development, The National Archives
- Scotland: National Records of Scotland and Scottish Council on Archives
- Wales: The Welsh Government through its Museums, Archives and Libraries Division
- Northern Ireland: the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (028 90 534 800) – specify that your enquiry relates to Archive Service Accreditation
Timing your application
The following factors may also influence the timing of an application for accreditation:
- dates of Archive Service Accreditation Panels
- archive service review
- archive service move
- application for museum accreditation
- application for a planned capital project
- budget year
Archive Services from England are advised to submit their application for Archive Service Accreditation at least three months before the date of any given Archive Service Accreditation Panel to guarantee review at that Panel.